In this article, we have discussed how you can customize and use Night Shift on your Mac.
Night Shift is one of the most prominent features on Mac that can shift the display color automatically from dark to a color spectrum’s warmer end, thereby preventing the eyes from straining and making the content viewing experience much more comfortable. Night Shift uses the clock and geolocation of Mac to determine sunset and accordingly shifts the colors. This guide is all about the customization techniques that one can use to customize Night Shift on their Mac. So, let us proceed further with the instructions.
How to Customize Night Shift on Mac?
A vast number of studies concluded that exposure to the evening light affects circadian rhythms. This makes it harder for individuals to go to sleep. You might not want to hamper your hard-earned sleep after hours of a hectic schedule. Would you? Probably not. So, macOS allows you to make adjustments in the Night Shift. Apart from this, it allows users to make adjustments in the color temperature of the display, thereby letting you fine-tune the intensity according to your requirements.
Compatible Macs with Night Shift
Night Shift is supported on macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later. So, you need to rest assured about the compatibility of your Mac with this feature. Below we have mentioned the Mac models supporting the night shift at present.
The MacBook (from early 2015), MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models from mid of 2012, iMac and Mac mini models from late 2012, Mac Pro models from late 2013.
Steps to Enable Night Shift on Mac
We have listed several ways with which you can enable Night Shift on Mac. One of the most preferred ways to enable it is through an iOS style control center or through an iOS-style control center or Siri.
Using System Preferences to Turn on/off Night Shift
Follow the below-mentioned steps to turn on/off Night Shift preferences:
- Open System Preferences application on the macOS device. You may also tap on the Apple menu appearing on the extreme left on your screen and select System Preferences.
- Further tap on Displays.
- Check if you have selected the “Night Shift” tab or not.
- Now checkmark the box adjacent to the Manual. This will enable Night Shift on your Mac for a day. You may turn it off when required.
Using Control Center to Turn on/off Night Shift
It’s pretty easy to invoke Night Shift using the Control Center. It will take just a few clicks. You may follow the steps mentioned below for the same:
- Tap on the icon for the Control Center appearing on the extreme right side on the top.
- Further click on the Display option.
- Enable the Night Shift to toggle it on.
Using Sir to Turn on/off Night Shift
Siri can also be used to turn on/off the Night Shift on Mac. You just need to invoke it and further ask to accomplish the task.
How to Customize and Use Night Shift on Your Mac?
According to your requirements, you can customize Night Shift and allow it to automatically turn on/off at the time scheduled time. Alongside that, the system allows you to make adjustments in the color temperature according to your needs to make it look more or less warm.
- First, you need to open the System Preferences application on your Mac.
- Further click on “Displays.”
- Now tap on the “Night Shift” tab.
- Proceed further by clicking on the drop-down bar appearing immediate next on the right side of the “Schedule” option. According to the requirements, you can select the custom time range or keep it turned on from sunset to sunrise.
- If you need to increase or decrease the warmth of the screen, hold and drag the slider appearing next to the Color Temperature, towards the right or left accordingly.
So, that’s how Night Shift can be used on a Mac. The users working in a lot-lighted environment should definitely consider using this feature, and they should keep it turned on from sunset till sunrise. This will help users prevent their eyes from straining, as it will make the content look more soothing to the viewer’s eyes.